UK Gets Awesome LG Watch Phone

One of the coolest gadgets at CES 2009 is coming to London next week. LG’s watch phone looks like something straight out of James Bond or Dick Tracey. With a touch screen and video call capabilities this little accessory is a must have for any super spy, gum shoe, or tech enthusiast. It’s available exclusively at the Orange store at the Bond Street Station in Central London on a first come first serve basis August 27th. With a price tag of just a bazillion £500, I wonder how many Brits will jump on the chance to be the first to own the coolest phone in history. See Orange’s demo video below.

The LG watch phone is coming to London.

The LG watch phone is coming to London.

Each of these watches is a hand-made 3G+ work of art. Looking at the video, I am floored by what the little device can do. It can tell time, make calls, send texts, make video calls, or play music. All at qualities equal to or exceeding competitive phones on the market. The main interface is a 1.43 inch (diagonal) touchscreen with voice activation and text to speech capabilities. There’s a camera, but it faces directly up for video conferencing, so it’s unclear if it could be used easily for other functions. Besides web browsing though, the watch phone seems to have it all.

But who cares, really? People aren’t going to buy it for the functionality. At £ 500, I doubt the customer is the sort of person who will use the watch as their only mobile phone. No, this device is a high tech status symbol to mark out those who have the money, tech savvy, and geekly confidence to wear the watch of a badass gadgeteer.

Orange, a UK division of France Telecomm Group, plans on releasing several more “future phones” this year. They may have to replace the floors at their store after all the nerd stampedes. In the short term, it will be interesting to see if these future phones can break the dominance that smart phones like the blackberry and iPhone have on public perception.

Looking ahead further, concept devices like the LG watch phone show just how easily technology is adapting to every aspect of our lives. The lines between the digital and physical worlds are blurring, and it may not be long before every physical object has a digital presence and every digital concept has a physical location associated with it. The future is full of possibilities even cooler than a watch phone. Hard to believe, I know.

• Raelifin August 21, 2009 on 8:04 pm

I kind of wish that they’d increase the device size to cover more of the forearm and be less like a traditional watch. Clearly this is marketed towards tech enthusiasts, and I can’t help but think that an iPhone-sized device would be cheaper and easier to use. With the proper fashion campaign, this could lead the way with wearable phones. As it stands it just looks like a gimmick.

• Raelifin August 21, 2009 on 4:04 pm

• Facebook User August 21, 2009 on 10:36 pm

I dont think this will become a next generation phone. Teens like phones like iphones or phones like Nokia Aeon ( http://www.domesticutilities.com/aeon.htm ) . but its not for me

• Facebook User August 21, 2009 on 6:36 pm

• DragonAss December 1, 2009 on 10:35 pm

Make it water resistant to 150 feet and add a depth guage and it’s the only watch/phone I’d ever carry.

• DragonAss December 1, 2009 on 6:35 pm

• James January 19, 2010 on 11:01 am

It's cool from technological standpoint, but I wouldn't buy it since it isn't very tasteful and looks tacky.

• LGDare hacks July 22, 2010 on 9:03 pm

i believe it was a bit rushed, and neglected some features that not many individuals discuss about. Everyone is aware of that the majority new smartphones have internet, so why show that basic perform at its bear minimum. Scroll up scroll down zoom in zoom out. Really? which new cellphone doesnt do this? How bout talk about how the textual content rearranges itsself. Additionally the texting, very poor review. Why didnt you mention you should utilize the mic and textual content along with your voice? Omitted ALOT of different more important options

• LGDare hacks July 22, 2010 on 5:03 pm

• Sam Kane August 4, 2010 on 6:50 pm

that is really cool. can’t wait to have one on my wrist!

• Sam Kane August 4, 2010 on 2:50 pm

that is really cool. can’t wait to have one on my wrist!

• iPhone LCD Screens January 18, 2011 on 7:33 am

These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post, writing is simply great, thank you for the post!

• Anonymous March 22, 2011 on 5:59 am

Own the watch cell phone like this, so convinent for our life!