Russia Is Making Flying Saucers. DUN-DUN-DUN!

russian flying saucer

Russian company Locomo Sky is in the process of building a fleet of cargo hauling aerostat aircraft that resemble UFOs. Conspiracy theorists everywhere are salivating with anticipation.

Russia’s latest endeavor to produce commercial grade lighter-than-air aircraft seems a little strange. The “aerostatic thermoballasted vehicle” from Locomo Sky looks like something straight out of a 1950s UFO movie. The flying saucer shape isn’t just for show though, it helps the aerostat travel through the air with a minimum loss of energy to air resistance. According to their press release, Locomo Sky has started building a construction facility in the Ulyanovsk region of Russia to create a fleet of the aircraft. These airships, more commonly called Locomoskayners, are already used in geographical surveys. That version of the craft has a 1000kg (2200 lbs) carrying capacity with a crew of 2-8. Locomo Sky is hoping to build a huge version of the Locomoskayner that would have a 600 metric ton capacity or even carry 11,000 people. The company presented this idea recently to President Dmitry Medvedev, reportedly with good results. With millions already invested, it seems possible that Russian skies may be filled with flying saucers hauling cargo very soon. It sounds too wacky to be true, but it is. Check out a simulation video of the large Locomoskayner in action after the break.

Thanks to Gringo.Comtv.ru for the video. Can’t say that the audio really helps me take this seriously though.

It’s not that I doubt the efficiency or very long and successful history of lighter-than-air flight. Balloons, dirigibles, blimps – these aircraft ruled the sky before planes and jets were ever built. Even now, they represent a interesting means of hauling cargo. They don’t need dedicated airfields, they can travel quickly across most terrain, and they are generally more fuel efficient. If you don’t fill an airship with hydrogen (RIP Hindenburg) they are very safe. All these facts make aerostats a great idea. However, there’s just something about the flying saucer shape of the Locomoskayner that cracks me up. I can’t stop shaking my head and chuckling. Is this really the future of freight hauling in Russia? In the world? I’ll believe it when I see it. Until then…

BEWARE THE RUSSIAN FLYING SAUCERS!

locomo skayner

Russians and flying saucers. The future of cargo transportation?

[image credit: Locomo Sky]

[sources: Locomo Sky]

• Red Zeppelin March 10, 2010 on 10:52 pm

It's Hindenb->U<-rg

Also I was the 200000 visitor of the zeppelin museum in Friedrichshafen when I was nine years old wooo! =)

• SixSided March 10, 2010 on 11:59 pm

I wanna airship :(

• Tim March 11, 2010 on 1:00 am

They stole the idea from the Aeros corporation that is US based. The only difference is that Aeros actually developed technology and not just pr. The biggest question to Lokomosky is how they are planning to keep aloft while lifting 2 trucks? This only works in the cartoons, the same way what Cargolifter did years ago. Aeros is the only company that solved the buoyancy management problem. Check out their Aeroscraft. Lokomosky is a scam.

• James March 11, 2010 on 6:06 pm

I wish I had a airship. Nice reference to the Hindenburg mind.

• johnymaccer March 11, 2010 on 10:59 pm

Wow, I am impressed dude. That is like way cool!

jess

• boots March 12, 2010 on 12:05 am

Russia doesn't mess around.

• mable2010 March 12, 2010 on 12:05 am

and they stole their idea of oreo's :D.

• Vlad the Impaler March 19, 2010 on 12:12 pm

Whatever the situation, whatever the circumstances, you, being American, would challenge anything anyone says or does because it is foreign, regardless of how much exaggeration and selective criticism you use to do it. The lying emails I have received about the A380 airbus because it challenges the jumbo jet mastery of the skies are astonishing, and they originate from America. Just shut up. Anyhow, NASA stole the idea of space travel from the Russians, you could say that because the Russians did it first, but we won't, unless it was the other way round then an American would say it.

• jam June 8, 2010 on 2:45 pm

fuck america i hope the russians blow you bastards off the map go russia.

• jam June 8, 2010 on 2:45 pm

fuck america i hope the russians blow you bastards off the map go russia.

• Peter Pan jam January 25, 2011 on 7:01 am

Contrary to the common belief the Russians are not blood thirsty bastards and are tired of all these wars they happened to be drugged into. Through Russia, Edgar Cayce said “comes the hope of the world. Not in respect to what is sometimes termed Communism or Bolshevism — no! But freedom — freedom! That each man will live for his fellow man. The principle has been born there. It will take years for it to be crystallized; yet out of Russia comes again the hope of the world.” I hope it will come true.

• jam June 8, 2010 on 10:45 am

fuck america i hope the russians blow you bastards off the map go russia.

• Anibal Innarelli June 30, 2010 on 4:40 am

Thank you for this post. I have used a long time to looking for the best airplane flight simulator online and now I think I have got it . BTW, there is another simulator out there which is also very well : http://airplane-flight-simulator.learnmoreskills.com .

• Anibal Innarelli June 30, 2010 on 4:40 am

• Anibal Innarelli June 30, 2010 on 12:40 am

• Bad Breath September 21, 2010 on 3:50 pm

I remember reading about something similar to this (also in Russia) as far back as the late 90s. I guess it never took off (excuse the pun :)…hopefully, this one will (literally :-)

If anyone is motivated to get this idea off the ground (excuse that pun too :), it’ll be the Russians: Despite having nearly a million kilometers of roads, most of the country is inaccessible (which isn’t surprising, since it’s the largest country in the world, crossing 11 time zones). And aircraft need runways…and helicopters have limited range. Airships could overcome all three problems… if they are as cool-looking as a UFO blimp, then all the better! :-)

• Khannea Suntzu September 15, 2011 on 2:28 pm

/me bleeds from her ears.