Titan Robot Wows, Frightens…But Its Fake

During the last 24 hours a robot called Titan has been creating huge waves across the internet as viewers have been wowed by impressive videos of the robot dancing, singing, making jokes, and walking with incredible agility.  With its bright flashing lights, terminator style looks, and hoards of humans adoring him with no fear for their own safety, the videos of Titan feel like they have been stripped right out of a movie scene.  In true movie form, one can’t help but envision the robot suddenly malfunctioning and destroying the feeble, helpless humans around him in an burst of terror.  Too bad Titan is a fake.

titan-robot

A person inside the Titan robot sees through the shiny breast plate

Although robots with many of Titan’s skills do indeed exist, they are usually powered by major financial backing, take years of development, and are still quite a rarity.  Suddenly out of nowhere comes Titan the robot into the spotlight from Cyberstein, a small entertainment company from the UK.  While several bloggers and the like are praising Titan with amazement, a little research uncovers that Titan is not a true robot at all – there is a person inside of it!

Real or not, the Titan “robot” provides fantastic entertainment as this is in fact what he has been created for.  Cyberstein Robotics is an entertainment company that has been around for over a decade.  They are in the business of bringing their human encased robotic entertainer to major events around the world, no doubt for a major fee.  Cyberstein may not win any awards for breakthroughs in artificial intelligence or robotic design, but I have to hand to them for creating some pretty awesome entertainment.  True to their roots as an entertainment company, Cyberstein has a sleek looking website.

Titan has been on the show circuit for 10 years, performing at more than 3,000 events in locations from Dubai to London to Beijing.  It is fascinating how the internet allows for certain ideas or products to spring from relatively obscurity to web sensation overnight, often with the story completely wrong.  For whatever reason, Titan is now having this moment.  Some blogger or otherwise saw the videos and linked to them and thus was planted the seed that has caused tens of thousands across the net to gape in wonder at what they believe is a true, autonomous robot.

For what its worth, the videos sure are entertaining, and although Titan may not be the real deal himself, certainly there is a growing legion of robots from ASIMO to the HRP-4C that truly are the real deal.  Sooner or later those movie scenes of robots wreaking havoc may not just be movie scenes after all.

• Nick October 23, 2009 on 6:16 pm

I wonder though – did the blogger know it was fake and try to pull a fast one (which succeeded!) or was this a viral plant by the company, or was, as you surmise, a blogger really tricked?

You can see the corrugated arm-tubes for the humans, and the robots never use their shoulders. Though I’m not sure I’d be paying attention to that if it was presented to me as real, considering all the amazing things we’ve seen around this place in the past year.

• Nick October 23, 2009 on 2:16 pm

• Chiwuzie Sunday October 24, 2009 on 9:06 pm

Only “Freaks” like me would know ‘that thing’ isn’t a real robot, DUH!…But hey what can I say, some people are just Blah!

• Chiwuzie Sunday October 24, 2009 on 5:06 pm

• nikfielding March 12, 2010 on 1:39 pm

What about 'Titan the Robot prototype' is that fake?

• Vincent Beers nikfielding September 10, 2013 on 8:28 am

the titan prototype is faked, its a promotional vid

the upper body is remote controlled (the suit is 8 feet tall)

the guy stands in the legs portion with his head coming up into the chest

the prototype where you can see through the chest is the real suit, the upper body being controlled by remote. ive seen two promo vids, one where no one is in the suit (notice the legs never move) and another where the legs move a little, but if you look closely you can see the middle portion (where the guys head would be) has been digitally altered and his head removed from the picture

• DocDan March 29, 2010 on 9:55 pm

British crap! only japs can do robots! admit it your good old days are over , china is more powerful than uk now.

• james DocDan April 10, 2010 on 3:45 pm

japs? good old days? china more powerful? could you provide facts with no emotion next time rather than slander?! i am suprised your post was allowed to stay. you seem bent on projecting your opinion in a very instulting manner- anything wrong with you you would like to share? locked ina cupboard as a child or just too many mcdonalds and you can’t have a decent conversation without instulting others?

• DocDan March 29, 2010 on 5:55 pm

• james DocDan April 10, 2010 on 11:45 am

• DocDan March 29, 2010 on 9:56 pm

FAKE!

• DocDan March 29, 2010 on 5:56 pm

FAKE!

• Cavalier6888356 May 27, 2010 on 1:10 pm

It doesn’t matter how you put it. TITAN is an absolute amazement for the masses. Its performance is so hilarious, its movements so “robot-like” that you can’t help but get lost in the fantasy for a few moments. I want to know how much it costs to book it. I want to know how aquire a suit like it, and I want to know how I can get in on the act! This is an amazing display of humor, mechanics, and cybersuit performance. My hat off to TITAN! Please contact me with this information!

• Cavalier6888356 May 27, 2010 on 9:10 am

• flash poison February 22, 2011 on 11:16 pm

i think its a real machine

• Robert Barta flash poison November 29, 2012 on 4:07 am

Then you all should take a look how complicated REAL robots like ASIMO move or even the new one which was presented this year in tokyo – KARATAS !
      This thing is only for very very poor minded people who really watch only tv shows and eat at McDumb…I mean if you have a little knowledge, then how about batteries ? I think his batteries are called : Heart, Stomach and blood… :)