Are We Too Plugged In? Distracted vs. Enhanced Minds

peril-of-modern-distractions

The Internet: portal to the collective conscious or mindless distraction?

My smart phone can let me access the collective knowledge of humanity from almost anywhere, but is that access making me smarter or simply less focused? Every day I see people texting while in line at a store, using their laptops in parks, or chatting on the phone to loved ones while they walk. No matter where we go, we seem to stay plugged in. And while plugged in, we consume. According to the New York Times, Americans took in three times as much data in 2008 as they did in 1960. We multitask, trying to absorb different media streams (Twitter, email, Facebook, etc) at once, and new evidence shows that multitasking isn’t simply making us more efficient, it’s also making us more stressed, and less discerning. It seems possible our brains may have a practical restriction to how much data they can and should process. Is the growing digital age doomed to fail due to our own mental limits? No, but we need to acknowledge the necessity and benefits of unplugging.

I’ve been having an ongoing debate with a good friend about modern information overload. Should we be concerned, he asks, that we’re exposing our brains to such large volumes of data? No more, I replied, than we should have been concerned with the advent of the printing press, or the radio, or the TV. Each new advance in media brings about a concern about the loss of social interactions, the decaying of our brains, but on whole we have learned more and grown in technological strength and understanding. Ignore the Luddites and learn to love being plugged in.

Then I was pointed to Matt Richtel’s excellent Pulitzer Prize winning series in the NY Times, “Your Brains on Computers” which explores how our minds are shaped by the data stream. Richtel and his colleagues talk with scientists and scholars about the way in which we respond to multitasking and a glut of information. He points out research at Adam Gazzaley’s Lab at UCSF that indicates multitaskers have a harder time ignoring irrelevant information. Other scientists have found that anticipating incoming messages keeps you stressed even while not working. Checking emails can literally be addictive complete with associated chemical changes in our brain. A NY Times poll found that 30% of younger Americans think that technology makes it harder for them to focus, that 1 in 10 Americans find technology makes them less likely to interact with their children, 1 in 7 say it makes them less likely to spend time with their spouse, and 1 in 3 think they can’t live without being plugged in.

modern-distractions

The history of techno-optimism versus techno-pessimism is long, probably dating back to those who feared the wheel would lead to less time spent in the cave with the family. Yet modern concerns have been matched with increased insight from neurology and behavioral science. You can get an interesting overview of that recent history in this article by Adam Thierer. The plasticity of the brain is impressive, we are creatures designed to adapt. Adjusting to new levels of technology isn’t always easy, but it can be done.

Recently Richtel discussed his NY Times series with NPR. He brought up an analogy, not originally his, that I think serves us well. Information flow is like food. If you think all food is good, if you consume indiscriminately, then you will likely have health problems. Just as we need to learn how to eat healthy, we also need to learn how to manage our data streams in healthy ways. Because our understanding of how the brain processes data is still being developed we may not be able to form definitive guides to the modern information age. No one can really tell you that X hours of email per day is ok, but Y minutes on Facebook leads to poor reasoning skills. It is apparent, however, that unplugging from the internet, removing yourself from all distractions, is beneficial. Richtel took a team of scientists on a rafting trip away from all connectivity. Even the skeptics noticed a profound difference in their own behavior after a few days unplugged. We seem to have a finite amount of ‘working memory’ in our brains, removing distractions may allow deeper thoughts and reasoning to use working memory taken up by information overload.

In his NPR interview, Richtel is quick to point out that the increased consumption of information isn’t a bad thing. No, it’s an essential tool in our developing world. He doesn’t think we should end our hunger for new data, just manage it.

I agree. We recently ran a story on how exercise boosts your brain’s health. Going out for a jog is good for your mind. So too, it seems, is unplugging from the internet. I propose, and I am far from the first to do so, that we include ‘removing distractions’ alongside exercise as a fundamental component of our mental health. Are you giving yourself an hour each day to go out and run around? Why not include an hour when you turn off all your media (phones, computers, TV, etc) and relax. Don’t sleep, don’t read a book, just look around, think, and talk to people. Every once in a while, go on vacation and do the same thing, but for a few days. Does it sound completely boring? Well, boring can be a good thing.

We need to figure out how to maximize our adaption to new technology because that technology is growing in scale quickly. Many of us are already part of at least one social network, and those come complete with their own series of alerts, updates, and reminders. Imagine the information you’ll have to absorb as billions of people around the world start to go online in the upcoming decades. Think of how much we’ll have to process as our homes, cars, and offices start to create their own data streams. If we don’t learn how to interface properly with that new flow of content then we’ll end up nervous wrecks – constantly waiting for the next email or poke or tweet, unable to focus on our work or our personal lives. We could become people too distracted to function.

Yet the other possibility is equally powerful: if we learn how to manage data well, we could become enhanced beyond anything humans have ever experienced before. Imagine a time when an answer, any answer, can be found in seconds no matter where you are. Think of a time when you can interact with anything you own, or anyone you know, as easily as you can speak. With smart phones we seem to be halfway there already. The massive flow of data I’ve been discussing is a necessary byproduct of interconnectivity. If we can manage the data well then we’ll be able to link humanity together in ways that will increase productivity, understanding, and creativity.

Doing so means adjusting to the new onslaught of data. Right now the recipe for adjusting is unclear but probably includes “eat well, exercise well, and relax often.” Perhaps unsurprisingly that’s pretty much the recipe for longevity as well. As neuroscientists explore the brain we may be able to better design the flow of data to optimize our mental performance. We may find that productivity is maximized when we check emails three times a day, when we only have four windows open on our screens at once, or if we limit texting to times when we’re not driving. Until we have that precision guiding our online behavior, it’s up to each of us to figure out how best to plug into information technology. But take my advice: prioritize down time. Enhancing your mind sometimes means knowing when to give it a break.

[image credit: Gazzaley Lab, New Yorker]

[source: NPR, NY Times, Tech Liberation]

• Grzegorz Daniluk August 26, 2010 on 9:39 pm

In XX century we’ve learned that people don’t have fear of speed. In XXI century we learn that people don’t have fear of information overload.

• David Grzegorz Daniluk March 1, 2011 on 3:23 am

Definitely not true, coming from a 22 year old student/programmer who felt intensely relieved for the first time in a very long time after unplugging the cell phone and only getting on the computer about 3 times for a week. Before that I literally couldn’t think clearly and it felt impossible to focus. Come to think of it, it’s been a hell of a lot harder to focus since coming back to it.

• Grzegorz Daniluk August 26, 2010 on 5:39 pm

• Derrick August 27, 2010 on 2:32 am

Er..There are some interesting thoughts raised in this post.

Yet I’m not sure the swell of information that is available to us is such a remarkable phenomenon in the context of public health. As you said early in the article taking every new technology has associated with it fears of some encroachment or other. In this case, some are worried about encroachment upon personal lives (?) by information overload.

Let me give an example from my personal experience. I don’t suffer from social networking overload, because I’m not involved in ANY social networks. This is not exceptional to my behavior. Since I was a baby, I was quiet and introverted. Same is the case for text messaging and cell phone calls. There just aren’t enough of them for me, for there to be a problem.

On the other hand, very sociable people deluge themselves with social media, precisely because they enjoy socializing. So when you argue that they are compromising their personal life by immersing themselves in social media is really just saying that they have priorities that you don’t agree with. Social media wasn’t foisted upon the Facebookers and Tweeters. They signed up for it, and they continue to use and enjoy the services.

Online communication is part of their life. If that was taken away from them, much of their identity would also be taken away which isn’t very fair.

• Michael Derrick September 8, 2010 on 12:07 am

For me, facebook is an unwanted necessity; in order to organize, coordinate, and advertise events on (college) campus, I have to use facebook, because everyone uses and checks facebook, whereas emails are often ignored or worse filtered, and that is if I can even find all of these people’s email addresses. Facebook is sort of fun, but its more of a time inefficient tool for spreading messages faster (but less effectively) than word of mouth or in person otherwise.

• Derrick August 26, 2010 on 10:32 pm

Er..There are some interesting thoughts raised in this post.

• Michael Derrick September 7, 2010 on 8:07 pm

• Joe G. August 27, 2010 on 10:29 am

I like Clay Shirky’s comments on information overload, which I paraphrase as:

Since the invention of the written word, people have needed “filters” to help make sense of a world with more information than any one person can know. Rapid technological progress at the beginning of the 21st century has outpaced progress on filtering methods, causing many people to feel overwhelmed and overloaded. New filters are needed.

In other words, the problem isn’t information overload, but rather “filter failure,” and you just need to develop new filters. You’d get the same overloaded feeling if you went into a library 20 years ago and there was no card catalog and the books were in random order.

With technology changing so fast, I guess it’s an open question as to whether reasonable filtering can be developed at a fast enough pace to keep up with the technological changes.

• Joe G. August 27, 2010 on 2:29 pm

I like Clay Shirky’s comments on information overload, which I paraphrase as:

• Deane Rimerman August 28, 2010 on 10:23 pm

This article strikes me as the same type of conversation people had when print tech first made books abundant.

As in: “People who read books all the time are not paying attention to the world around them! They’re so distracted that they’re not interacting with society. What’s worse, they’re minds are so full up of so many ideas that they’re often the ones sitting around reflecting, not being productive, being a downright burden on society.”

Is it logical people felt that way when books first became abundant?

More to the point: Data is only as good as the wisdom that uses it.

• Deane Rimerman August 28, 2010 on 6:23 pm

Is it logical people felt that way when books first became abundant?

More to the point: Data is only as good as the wisdom that uses it.

• Cracked LCD August 30, 2010 on 6:16 am

I can not get plugged in enough. I’m so used to having all the info wherever I go, so when my carrier has some trouble with its network, I almost feel crippled. You may think that sounds pathetic but it’s true. I can quickly look up words, or search Wikipedia or Google, I can navigate when I am somewhere unfamiliar. It’s definitely an extension of myself in a sense, and I would never go back.

But yes, you have to be selective, as you can’t take in everything very quickly. But to know it’s there when you need it, is amazing.

• Cracked LCD August 30, 2010 on 2:16 am

• Matt Stone September 2, 2010 on 8:09 pm

Isn’t it ironic that this article has a “post to facebook” link?

• Matt Stone September 2, 2010 on 4:09 pm

Isn’t it ironic that this article has a “post to facebook” link?

• ALi September 3, 2010 on 1:58 pm

And then “it” decided to trick and fool the human into believing … .. .

• ALi September 3, 2010 on 9:58 am

And then “it” decided to trick and fool the human into believing … .. .

• martin0641 September 7, 2010 on 2:17 am

If the Singularity does not augment our attention span using technology, then evolution will eventually favor those who can multi-task and absorb large amounts of data and manipulate it meaningfully.

I don’t see what all the hubbub is about. I’m so connected that I feel like I’m living 2-5 years ahead of most people, and I like it that way.

• martin0641 September 6, 2010 on 10:17 pm

• James McCullough September 12, 2010 on 6:43 am

I’d strongly suggest people read The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains (http://amzn.to/advat3) by Nicholas Carr. In it, he documents how the world adjusted to the numerous advances with information (print, radio, television, etc) and how our minds are being reconfigured for the digital age – take information in short doses (Twitter, status messages) as opposed to long form writing (email, newspapers, long blog posts).

I’ve written on my blog about how there is a movement to take digital sabbaticals, and they are important for our minds. Computers are designed similarly to our minds and we often forget our own need to be “shutdown,” “sleep,” and “restart.”